jena-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dont' fork the dev lists (Re: I wish to contribute a new tdb example)
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:41:14 GMT
On 07/12/2010 10:18, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 07/12/10 10:00, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> On 06/12/2010 23:09, Andy Seaborne wrote:

>>> reaction is.
>>>

>> No - the corect dev list is now jena-dev@incubator.apache.org which is
>> where this proposal was sent.
>> During the changeover people might want to flag important messages on
>> the old list with instructions on how to join this one but do not fork
>> the conversations - it will damage your community.
>

> Ross -

> Jena was small there was only one list, and that became the one all the
> user questions were on so).
>
> As we discussed, we'll migrate the user lists but it will be a slow
> process during which we'll have two active lists for quite some time.
>
> jena-devel@lists.sf.net was the developers list.

Wow - that's confusing ;-)

> jena-dev@incubator.apache.org is the developers list.
>
> jena-users@incubator.apache.org wil be the users list.

-1

jena-users@incubator.apache.org *is* the users list

> I suggested Matthew send it to the current jena users list because it's
> active and mayeb we'll get more suggestions.
>
> We haven't even discussed the mechanics of how we might migrate the user
> list in detail.

Time to do so then (see below)

> We haven't got the project infrastructure running at Apache yet, and
> don't know how to accept something submitted and I didn't want Matthews
> contribution to get bogged down.

Accepting such a donation in your old home will only make more paperwork
for everyone when moving it here (unless this contributor happens to
already be on your list of iCLAs needed).

The first phase is the discussion that you are moving to another list
and thus forking. The phase of accepting donations can be handled here
quickly even without all your iCLAs on file.

My original comment stands, but with different list name now that you've
explained the historical naming issue.

ASF lists are archived, send a mail to the old list saying something like:

"there's an interesting proposal to donate XYZ to our code base. See
http://..... for the discussion in our new user list archives. Send an
email to jena-users-subscribe@incuvbator.apache.org to join the discussion"

Ross