jena-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <andy.seabo...@epimorphics.com>
Subject Re: Dont' fork the dev lists (Re: I wish to contribute a new tdb example)
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 11:49:22 GMT

  but that still leaves a lot of people receing email.

On 07/12/10 10:41, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 10:18, Andy Seaborne wrote:

>>> No - the corect dev list is now jena-dev@incubator.apache.org which is
>>> where this proposal was sent.
>>> During the changeover people might want to flag important messages on
>>> the old list with instructions on how to join this one but do not fork
>>> the conversations - it will damage your community.
>>

>> Ross -

>> Jena was small there was only one list, and that became the one all the
>> user questions were on so).
>>
>> As we discussed, we'll migrate the user lists but it will be a slow
>> process during which we'll have two active lists for quite some time.
>>
>> jena-devel@lists.sf.net was the developers list.
>
> Wow - that's confusing ;-)
>
>> jena-dev@incubator.apache.org is the developers list.
>>
>> jena-users@incubator.apache.org wil be the users list.
>
> -1
>
> jena-users@incubator.apache.org *is* the users list

The current user list has 3090 members, many/most of which are
read-on-web or no-email, because you have to subscribe to send email.
Add some factor for active users and it's still non-trivial.

Migration is not going to happen swiftly and we can't just say "don't
email here, email there".

>> I suggested Matthew send it to the current jena users list because it's
>> active and mayeb we'll get more suggestions.
>>
>> We haven't even discussed the mechanics of how we might migrate the user
>> list in detail.
>
> Time to do so then (see below)
>
>> We haven't got the project infrastructure running at Apache yet, and
>> don't know how to accept something submitted and I didn't want Matthews
>> contribution to get bogged down.
>
> Accepting such a donation in your old home will only make more paperwork
> for everyone when moving it here (unless this contributor happens to
> already be on your list of iCLAs needed).

Yes - I hope that he will add it JIRA as well to make the ASF legal
framework apply.

The contribution is example(s), not code for the core system. I judged
it better to get it in front of as many users as possible.