jena-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Dont' fork the dev lists (Re: I wish to contribute a new tdb example)
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 18:10:49 GMT
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Paolo Castagna
<castagna.lists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> As we discussed, we'll migrate the user lists but it will be a slow
>> process during which we'll have two active lists for quite some time.
> Either we find a way to automate this (and it will be quick),
> or we must tell the users to switch and it's up to them to
> decide if they want to do it and when.

When people post on apache mailing lists anything they post is
'automatically' Contribution to the apache software foundation (per
the apache license and per the CLA [1]). This is a difference from the
current jena-dev@yahoo. So auto-subscribing people in bulk is bad,
since it makes them rather less aware of that difference.

There's possible hairy discussions about etiquette/privacy/etc as well
("Given yahoo groups privacy policy, is it acceptable to give this set
of e-mail addresses to the ASF?"), but because we have this legalese
argument anyway, we don't have to go into those discussions.
Convenient :)

cheers,

Leo

[1] from http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt (highlight mine) :