jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Cheen-Pin Lim <cheenpin....@gmail.com>
Subject Web Driver based Sampler?
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2012 06:55:39 GMT
Hi,

After looking at the current HTTP Sampler, I would like to propose a
WebDriver based implementation.  The problem is that with a lot of modern
websites using AJAX, advanced CSS3 (transitions/transforms) to do the
rendering, the performance problem may not be 'visible' to the standard
HTTP Sampler.  The idea is that if we could use JMeter to control a browser
and collect the time it takes to render each 'page' it would give the users
an understanding of how long a page would take to render.

Some of the high level goals are as follows:

   1. Allow any WebDriver supported browser to be used to perform the
   Sampling.
   2. Provide a BeanShell/BSF style pane where the user can script the
   behaviour of WebDriver.

I've got a very basic implementation working here:
https://github.com/cplim/JMeter - you'll have to switch to the 'webmeter'
branch to see the changes.  There are limitations with this proof of
concept, mainly:

   1. It only creates Firefox instances
   2. I've only provided Javascript lang support using BSF.

Some outstanding questions:

   1. How to support Phone (Android/iOS) based WebDriver, as these seem to
   expect to only connect to a single phone.

I would be happy to contribute the changes back to JMeter.  Can I get some
feedback on this proposal, and what I need to do to contribute my changes
back to the main JMeter codebase?

regards,
CP Lim