jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From chaitanya bhatt <bhatt.chaita...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web Driver based Sampler?
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:30:11 GMT
*On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Cheen-Pin Lim <cheenpin.lim@gmail.com>wrote:
>Once you have more load
>applied to the servers/services different characteristics tend to emerge,
>which is why I was thinking that the use of JMeter would be useful.

*I may totally sound cynical while saying this but honestly the reason why
I am criticising your idea is mainly due to the week rational behind your
motivation to create this feature:

1. First of all browser induced latency on the total workload is grossly
overrated. Having said that, all that an accurate simulation of browser
latency would do to your workload is that it would marginally reduce the
total hits made on the server, which I think is bad from a fundamental load
testing perspective.
2.To accommodate in-memory containers to hold 100s-1000s of virutal user
browser sessions is practically impossible without testers having to
significantly size up their test lab resources. Think about the cost factor.
3. Looking at todays trend of browser adoption your web driver would have
to be equipped with simulation capability multiple types of browsers such
as IE, Chromer, Safari etc. etc. and also you would have to consider
simulating various device characteristics on the generated load. Think
about the complexity.

@Shmuel: The loadrunner protocol you are talking about is Ajax
TrueClient. HP came out with Ajax TrueClient not with an intention
of generating real browser traffic but it was mainly developed to reduce
the complexity of scripting apps that employ unintelligible data
serialization like Google GWT. With this HP's protocol you wouldn't have a
necessity of correlating session variables at all and there by you would be
significantly reducing the time to develop scripts. However, this protocol
currently has poor user adoption due to various limitations.

Thanks
Chaitanya M Bhatt
http://www.performancecompetence.com