jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Easier translation?
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 17:28:58 GMT
On 22 October 2012 11:32, Immanuel Hayden <immanuel.hayden@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Yesterday I started poking around the translation a little bit (because I
> started jmeter at my home machine which is set to german and was confused
> by having about 50% translated and 50% not ... which is really strange to
> look at). Long story short: after I came to "File name" for the third time
> I was thinking: why we don't have these really common strings in one place
> only so they would be easy to translate and esp. only occur once, but
> spread out over the whole place and multiple times?
> So, the question is: how could this be done? eg. have a central static
> class somewhere with the most common strings (eg. "File name") which could
> be expanded with time or are there any other/better solutions?

There is a single messages.properties file with all the English
strings in it; translations exist as messages_de.properties (etc.).

There may well be duplicate values with different names in this file;
that is unavoidable, as generally the property names are local to a
GUI class.
If the GUI layout changes, the meaning of a field may change subtly,
in which case there could be problems if the value needed to change
just for this GUI field.
In generatl, it's not trivial to determine whether the different
properties with the same values really refer to the same item.

There are also separate message.properties files for the TestBean
classes; AFAIK this cannot be changed.

I don't think there is a solution to this that would not cause other
(worse) problems.