jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use ThreadLocalRandom instead of Random
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 20:27:00 GMT
Hello Sebb,
My answers below.

Regards
Philippe

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 January 2013 12:28, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Java 7 introduced ThreadLocalRandom which has much better performances
> than
> > using Random as static instance.
> > See:
> >

> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/concurrency/threadlocalrandom.html
> >
> http://niklasschlimm.blogspot.fr/2012/01/java-7-how-to-write-really-fast-java.html
> >

> > Implementation is here for Java6 but can we use it with Apache License ?:
> >
> https://github.com/codahale/metrics/blob/master/metrics-core/src/main/java/com/yammer/metrics/stats/ThreadLocalRandom.java
>
> That appears to be public domain.
> Not sure of whether that is allowable or not.
>

> > Or should we migrate to Java 7 as Java6 will be soon EOL ?
>
> Is the performance of Random a significant problem for JMeter?
> Does it affect all tests? Or just some test elements?
> If not, then I don't think it's worth the effort.

I will affect:
- RandomVariableConfig
- RandomController
- RandomTimer
- RegexpExtractor => Used a lot
- HtmlExtractor => Hope it will be :-)
- __regexFunction
- AnchorModifier

So maybe we could at least impact:
- RegexpExtractor => Used a lot
- HtmlExtractor => Hope it will be :-)
- RandomController

> As to whether to require Java 7, I suspect Java 6 will still be used
> by many (especially businesses) until long after EOL (and remember
> users can pay to have longer support).

I agree with you this policy applies for Application servers, but for tools
like JMeter I don't think it does. From my experience as a JMeter user, we
always were able to have a particular Java version installed.

> If a move to Java 7 would allow the use of new APIs that provide
> significant performance improvements then it might be worth doing.
> But we do need to be aware that requiring Java 7 as a minimum may well
> exclude some users.

Same answer as before.
I think if we cannot use  ThreadLocalRandom as copy / paste in JMeter
source, it is worth thinking about moving to Java 7.
Who can help us on this license problem ?

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.