jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Rename "HTTP Proxy Server" ?
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2013 18:58:58 GMT
The HTTP Proxy Server test element is used to record browser sessions
as test plans.

The name does not describe its function (it describes the implementation).
Having Proxy in the name means it's more easily confused with the
proxy settings that may be needed to run tests.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to rename the test element to something like

HTTP(S) Test Recorder
or
Test Recorder - HTTP(S)
or
Test Recorder - HTTP/HTTPS

I did consider "Test Recorder" on its own, but that might be taken to
imply that it can record other test types (e.g. JDBC), which it cannot
at present. Even if we did implement JDBC recording, it would likely
need a different GUI as the options would be completely different, so
I think the name needs to include HTTP(S).

I think the rename will only affect the component reference docs - and
we can add an anchor for the old name.

Thoughts?
Would it help to rename the element?

If there is agreement, I'd like to do this before the next release.
There are other major changes to the recorder which also need documenting.