jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Test Script Recorder (jmeter proxy) doesn't handle multipart submission
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:07:17 GMT
On 12 December 2013 05:23, James Liang <jliang@andera.com> wrote:
> After thinking this over, I don't understand why jmeter proxy need the upload file in
the jmeter/bin folder at all.

> I am trying to use the jmeter proxy to capture test script for a file upload scenario.
 The data flow is as follow:

> 1.  from the browser, a user selects a local file to upload to the server
> 2.  the browser reads in the file and constructs the http multipart submission requests
> 3.  the browser sends the http multipart submission to the jmeter proxy
> 4.  jmeter proxy records the http requests as http request samplers
> 5.  jmeter proxy forwards the http requests to the server
>
> Based on these steps, the jmeter proxy should not need to open the local file at all.
 The browser already did that and has already construct the http message that contains the
file data.

> When I tried using the browser upload a file outside of jmeter/bin, the file upload errors
out immediately.  When I put the file in jmeter/bin and then use the browser to upload, everything
works.  Furthermore, the jmeter was able to create the http request samplers.  I've also verified
the file indeed went over to the server.

> What am I missing.

JMeter re-issues the requests created by the browser, so it needs all
the information that the browser has in order to do so.
Unfortunately some browsers don't provide the full path name for
files, only the file name.
So the file has to be located in the current directory for the upload to work.

> Thanks,
> James Liang

was file path.  I had to put the file in the jmeter/bin folder.

> Thanks,
> James Liang

a file upload flow, the upload would error out.  When I upload directly to my web app without
the jmeter proxy, everything works.  After some investigation, it is clear that the Test Script
Recorder doesn't properly handle multi part submission.