jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Russell <gra...@ham1.co.uk>
Subject IDEs and Java Formatting
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2014 21:52:08 GMT
Hi all

I've recently started to look at/contribute to the JMeter code and I've
noticed that there are quite a few formatting inconstancies, which I find
quite distracting (especially those relating to indentation) when trying to
efficiently read and understand code.

I use Eclipse as my Java IDE. Does any one else?
If a sizeable number do I'd like to propose that we use a consistent
formatter, I personally like the Google eclipse Java code formatter
(however I'd change the indentation from 2 to 4 spaces).

https://code.google.com/p/google-styleguide/source/browse/trunk/eclipse-java-google-style.xml

The eclipse formatter can also be run stand-alone by anyone who don't use
it as their IDE:
http://www.peterfriese.de/formatting-your-code-using-the-eclipse-code-formatter/

https://wiki.apache.org/jmeter/JMeterEclipse seems to be quite old/limited
and a manual process. Is there a reason for not checking in
default/bare-bones eclipse project/.settings files/folders to make it even
easier for people to checkout and get things working (building but also
formatting) in eclipse?

What do people think?

Regards

Graham