jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: APDEX Computing and reporting
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2015 02:11:30 GMT
On 1 February 2015 at 22:41, Philippe Mouawad
<philippe.mouawad@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, February 1, 2015, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1 February 2015 at 19:31, Philippe Mouawad
>> <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>> > Hi ,
>> > I uploaded a screenshot and new patch code showing what I meant.
>> > I think including it in core should be considered seriously.
>>
>> If the code reads the CSV file at the end of a test to produce the
>> HTML file, there is no need for it to be included in the JMeter code
>> which is used to run tests.
>> It should be a separate application.
>>
>> I don't share your opinion sebb.
> Having a report ready at end of load test is nowadays a standard, look at
> market tools wether open source or not.
> I don't see the problem here, can you give more details ?

The problem is that it adds extra code to the JMeter application which
takes extra memory.
Also, if the user wants to process existing files, it will be easier
to have a standalone application rather than having to start the
JMeter test application and then find the reporting tool.

It would be useful if the tool could be used in batch mode to process
a set of CSV files.

It's also likely to be easier for others to contribute additional
reporting tools if they are part of a separate application.
It should make the coding requirements simpler.

> Having another application( by the way do you mean provided as a tool in
> jmeter or third party) means in the first case you need to setup another
> tool and in the latter case need to develop your own, or use or pay one.

Of course the code should be included with JMeter.
But it should be a separate tool.

> This is the major drawback of JMeter I hear from customers and read around
> the net.

> I first though it would not be that easy but it appears we are able to
> reuse existing code.

I don't follow.

> If you disagree, I think we should wait for other team members their
> opinion and/or setup a vote for this.

The main JMeter code should be reserved for setting up and running tests.

>> > @Felix thanks for review of initial patch.
>> > Regards

>> existant

JS