jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Java 7 multiple Exception catching - layout convention
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:21:02 GMT
Java 7 allows multiple Exceptions to be listed in a single catch
clause, which can simplify code considerably.

However, I find it a bit awkward to read the clause when no spaces are used.

Compare

} catch (NumberFormatException|IOException|ScriptException e) { // nospaces

with

} catch (NumberFormatException | IOException | ScriptException e) { //
spaced out

I find the second version with spaces both sides of the "|" character
much easier to read.

This is particularly true where the exception name starts with the
letters "Ill" as in

} catch (NumberFormatException|IllegalArgumentException|ScriptException
e) { // nospaces

Agreed?