jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jmeter Wiki] Update of "FutureReleases" by JMeterAdmin
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:04:08 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jmeter Wiki" for change notification.

The "FutureReleases" page has been changed by JMeterAdmin:
https://wiki.apache.org/jmeter/FutureReleases?action=diff&rev1=39&rev2=40

Comment:
Remove items that have been completed or are obsolete

  = Non-functional improvements =
  This section is for non-functional changes, e.g. code re-organisation etc.

-  * Use Java 1.5 for building, but only require 1.4 for running. Is this easy to do? Can
it be done in Eclipse?
   * Currently, Apache Avalon seems to be used for logging. Avalon seems to have stalled,
should we move to log4j ?
-   * I looked into adding a GUI / dialog for "Help->View log" to easily view the jmeter
log file from the application itself.
-    * Seems to be some open source tools available for log4j which does that out of the box.
    * Would we gain functionality by moving to log4j ?
    * Alternatively, move to Commons Logging (as used by HttpClient currently)
    * Or perhaps SL4J - http://www.slf4j.org/
    * What are the risks with continuing to use Avalon, if Avalon is not maintained anymore
?
-   * Remark: HttpComponents project is considering migrating HttpClient 4.0 branch off Commons
Logging to another logging framework as Commons Logging currently appears unmaintained and
the prospects of its further development remain unclear. [There has just been a new release:
sebb] It may be worthwhile to ensure both projects use the same logging framework / compatible
logging frameworks. [Agreed: sebb]
+   * Remark: HttpComponents project is considering migrating HttpClient 4.0 branch off Commons
Logging [this was decided against: sebb] to another logging framework as Commons Logging currently
appears unmaintained [not so: sebb] and the prospects of its further development remain unclear.
[There has just been a new release: sebb] It may be worthwhile to ensure both projects use
the same logging framework / compatible logging frameworks. [Agreed: sebb]
-  * Upgrade to httpclient4 ? httpclient4 is still only in Alpha. Should / could we have one
sampler class using httpclient3 and one httpclient4 ? HttpClient 4 will require Java 1.5,
and won't be available until Q2/Q3 2008.
   * Reorganise documentation
    * component_reference is getting much too big. This will require changes to the help system.
    * sort functions and component ref into more logical order (currently chronological)
@@ -121, +117 @@

    * would be nice to be able to enable/disable fields depending on what else is selected
- e.g. JDBC parameters only needed for prepared statements
    * ensure drop-down list size big enough for all entries (within limits!)
   * move from Bugzilla to JIRA? More flexible, (but attachments a bit more awkward at present?)
-  * Can we add Beanshell jar to the distribution? If so, then some BeanShell elements could
be simplified. License is either SPL or LGPL, but versions are not stated; not clear if allowed.
-   * According to http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html, we can include libraries
in binary form if licensed under SPL
-   * The http://www.beanshell.org/license.html states it is dual licensed under SPL/LGPL
-   * We should probably email the author of BeanShell and check if he could be more precise
on the licensing on the web page ?
   * JMS GUIs should be loadable without needing JMS jars (needs an extra level of indirection,
as is done by JMS Publisher) or as below.
   * How to handle Gui elements that depend on optional jars:
    * should these be displayable, even though the jars are missing? Convenient for creating
and viewing test pans, but not so useful at run-time - should the test plan be allowed to
run?
    * or should they be omitted as at present? - this is confusing at build time.
    * or perhaps generate a dummy entry in the list, with a message to say the jar is missing?
his would be tricky, as the class is needed to retrieve the name and the menu category. Perhaps
the way to do it is to handle it in the GUI by catching the errors, and changing the name
or screen comment? May be tedious to do.
-  * Sort test tree according to JMeter processing order? This should probably be a separate
action, as it would be confusing for the tree to change as it was editted!
+  * Sort test tree according to JMeter processing order? This should probably be a separate
action, as it would be confusing for the tree to change as it was editted! (the menu drop-downs
are now in the correct order)
-  * introduce Generic HTTP Sampler which can do either Java or HttpClient or ...
-   * could be new sampler GUI with new underlying test elements
-   * but it would be nice if existing test plans were converted into the new sampler. Looked
at this a while back, but got stuck with XStream aliasing, which has to be one-to-one at present.
However, the code change to SaveService to remove the class loading should make it possible
to have multiple aliases for a single class. That might be sufficient, otherwise we'll need
a suitable converter.
-   * I think the GUI should just contain a dropdown "Client implementation", with values
like "Java JRE", "HTTPClient 3.1", "HTTPClient 4.0" etc.
   * GUI code refactor
    * there are various table implementations, could they be combined?
    * perhaps the table models could also be combined?
@@ -145, +133 @@

   * Documentation refers to threads and/or users in different places; replace by users -
or users(threads) - everywhere?
   * Test elements need access to ThreadGroup and TestPlan for co-ordinating counts etc per-group
and per-plan. Not much distinction is currently made between per-group and per-plan.

- = Release strategy =
- Only JMeter committers should change this section, though others may comment.
-
- == JMeter 2.3.1 ==
- This will be the next release.
-
- The following have been implemented:
-
-  * File->Revert command, to easily reload existing file.
-  * File->Open recent files command, bugzilla 31336
-  * Sort Menu types according to JMeter processing order
-   * Controllers
-   * Config
-   * Timers
-   * Pre-Processors
-   * Samplers
-   * Assertions
-   * Post-processors
-   * Listeners
-  * Recode SaveService so it does not load classes unnecessarily
-  * Add SVN revision number to Manifests.
-  * Prevent adding test elements to inappropriate parts of the tree - e.g. controller and
sampler must be under a thread group. Should also prevent drag and drop.
-  * JDBC IN/OUT/INOUT parameters
-  * Save Graphics should prompt before overwriting files
-  * user.properties and system.properties should be read from JMeter launch directory if
not found in current directory.
-  * Add option to use a single connection per-thread (if Pool Max=0)
-  * HTTP Cookie Manager should not clear static cookies each iteration
-  * Remove some code in HTTPSampler, which is a workaround for httpclient3.0 bug, which has
been fixed in httpclient3.1
-  * Improve "org.apache.jmeter.JMeter" class by removing the hack in "ListenToTest", which
causes JMeter to always sleep 5 seconds before exiting when run in batch
-  * Re-order HTTP request defaults fields to be like sampler
-   * Protocol
-   * Host   Port
-   * Path
-   * Encoding
-  * Change control logic so it does not use Exceptions for normal situations - NextIsNull
is only thrown by GenericController if it has no children. Also used by Interleave Controller.
-  * Add a "View only errors" setting in viewers.
-   * Log only errors currently suppresses both the log file (if provided) and the GUI display,
so I think the following is already possible. I don't think there is a need for a separate
checkbox, because one can always add a Simple Data Writer.
-   * Currently, there is a "Log only errors", but I want to have it as a general setting
on each listener
-   * This will allow a test plan where you can easily look into samples that fails, and get
statistics with or without errors (possibly exceptional cases)
-    * a "View Results Tree" is set up to only view errors
-    * a Summary listener which views all samples
-    * a Summary listener only for successes
-    * a Summary listener only for errors
-   * I find the "Write All Data to File" setting on each listener confusing, since all listeners
share the same possible log output, does it not ?
-    * For example, the "Graph listener", it does not write graph files to the file does it
? It writes a CSV or XML file ?
-    * Could we remove the "Write All Data to File" setting from all listeners, and instead
make a "Write All Data listener" ? [The simple data writer?]
-  * Make menu options more context sensitive, so they are only enabled when they make sense
-   * There seems to be some context sensitivity currently, but the code seems a bit odd,
with explicit methods used by various parts of the code (now fixed)
-  * Improve HttpMirrorThread class - done, but not submitted (Alf Hogemark)
-   * It should allow blocking reads where appropriate, at least when content-length is known
-   * Do not use Reader/Writer classes, which uses JVM default character encoding, causing
mirrored content to differ
-   * Add unit tests
-  * Hostname is present in the SampleEvent class - can this be saved in the log files?
-   * easy for CSV: pass SampleEvent instead of SampleResult.
-   * harder for XML, as the default output depends on the class, so using SampleEvent would
change the XML element. This would affect any stylesheets etc. However, using SampleEvent
as the class would allow the use of a single element instead of both sample and httpSample
(and any other future subclasses). [This was fixed without changing the tags]
-  * Look into warnings when compiling code, some deprecated code should be replaced [I think
all that remains is OK for now :sebb]
-