jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Migrate JMeter from SVN ASF repo to GIT ASF repo
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2015 13:34:32 GMT
On 25 August 2015 at 11:45, Milamber <milamber@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like open a discussion for the opportunity to migrate the JMeter svn
> repo into the git repository of ASF.
>
> Why (IMHO)?
> - because the usage of git seems more easier to make some operations like
> merge or revert a commit

I had to revert some commits in BCEL recently. This uses SVN, but the
process was very easy using Eclipse.
Just select the commit in History and choose "Revert changes from revision xyz"

> - the possibility to merge a pull request from Github is very easy (for
> example, merge a PR to a local branch, tests and if error comment the PR)

It's not that difficult with SVN

> - Allow to create several local branches to test patches from buzgilla, make
> some dev/enhancements on JMeter locally and after the final line code, do a
> PR on Github

Branches in SVN are very cheap.

> - The strong integration between Git and Github and the increasing number of
> developers using github to do a PR on open source projects (and the easy way
> to to that)
>
> Some consequences:
> The release process must change (tag/rc branch and the publishing of the web
> site)
> The website must be updated on the Developers informations

Those are relatively trivial changes.

However there are areas of the build and testing that rely on being
able to access the revision number of a file.
That is impossible in Git as far as I know.

Also Git does not support svn:eolstyle as far as I know.
This may cause problems with packaging as the EOL type is critical in
some files.

> Any thoughts?

I am not saying that it is a non-starter, but it is going to be a lot
of work to get it all working properly.

I suggest setting up a worksheet somewhere (Wiki/Git?) where plans can
be documented and discussed.