jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Design of Timeout test element / sampler interrupter
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2015 11:14:11 GMT
On 30 August 2015 at 09:38, Milamber <milamber@apache.org> wrote:

> On 30/08/2015 01:06, sebb wrote:
>>
>> It must be one of the existing Test Element classes that are handled
>> by the Menu system otherwise it will need special handling.
>

> Perhaps a new sub menu like "Samplers life-cycle"?
>
> The Action test element could be move is this menu.

I was hoping to avoid unnecessary work, but perhaps that makes sense.

> Otherwise, Timer seems the good place.
>

>> The scope requirement rules out Config elements and Logic Controllers.
>> It does not seem like a pre-processor to me, nor a post-procesor, nor a
>> Listener
>>
>> So AFAICT the only remaining options are the Timer and Assertions.
>>
>> I think both are justifiable.
>>
>> The name of the class can of course be changed from InterruptTimer - I
>> think that is probably not the best choice. Maybe something like
>> SamplerTimeout?
>

> A name with the role inside. Timeout isn't the role for this new element
> (it's a parameter), a name like "SamplerStopper" or "SampleInterrupter"
> seems better.

It's exactly analogous to "Connect Timeout" or "ResponseTimeout" (as
per the HTTP screen).

Yes, the Timeout is implemented by stopping the processing, but that's
not how people usually think of it.

The timeout in this case applies to the whole sample.
So I think "Sample Timeout" would be appropriate for the GUI name.

> Probably, the name in the GUI needs to be change too.

Yes, that's what's important for the user.
(I realise I was discussing the class name; but I was really thinking
of the GUI name. Sorry for the confusion)