jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Beanshell and embedding of Groovy
Date Sat, 17 Oct 2015 13:56:13 GMT
Hello,
Since Groovy should soon be an Apache Project, what about distributing it
in Apache JMeter ?

This would allow users to have OOTB instead of having to make an additional
installation step.

Groovy would become the Beanshell Successor for JMeter combined with JSR223
as it's the better one in terms of performance.

There are many drawbacks in not embedding it and making new users or non
expert users think that Beanshell is the favorite JMeter Extension Language:
- Beanshell is kind of attic library now
- It does not support Java6 Syntaxes, I see a lot of Questions on
Stackoverflow where users face issues using Java6 syntax (Generics). We can
document this more but wouldn't it be better to have a ready to use
solution compatible with Java 7 now ?
- As you know , Groovy + Compilation Cache Key outperforms in performances
other languages by a factor of 10 and more
- Groovy is really powerful with nice syntax sugar and a huge number of APIs

Regards
Philippe M.
@philmdot