jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About including Groovy
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2016 14:21:57 GMT
On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 1:04 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's be clear what this discussion is about.
>
> JMeter already supports Groovy.
> It's not a question of whether Groovy is a good scripting language.
>
> The question is whether or not to bundle Groovy with JMeter.
>
> The only advantage I can see is that JMeter users don't have to
> download Groovy in order to use it.

I don't share your opinion.
Take the beginner who downloads JMeter, to use Groovy, he must be aware
that it is available through JSR223 AND that he must download (the correct
Groovy Jar, put it in the correct folder, restart JMeter). Meanwhile he can
screw an existing test plan that used Groovy when he migrates to a new
JMeter that does not have Groovy.

So he selects this element and doesn't find it. Do you think he will go
further or will he use Beanshell ? (and then face all JAVA 6, 7 , 8 issues
with Beanshell )
Read all the blogs on JMeter and you will see how many users still use
Beanshell because they are not aware  of Groovy or they were not able to
set it up.

Why make it harder for a beginner through and even for experts to use
Groovy instead of just distributing it ?
Groovy is an Apache project ? Why not use it
Groovy is sexy, useful and sustainable, why be so reluctant with it ?

> The disadvantages are:
> - additional download size, even if Groovy is not needed

Groovy add 7mb to bundle , is this an issue nowadays ? I don't think so

> - users will still have to download Groovy if there is a new version

That's the same problem as with any of our jars in lib.

> and JMeter has not yet been updated.
>
> It would be useful to know:
> - what jars are needed?

groovy-all-2.4.5.jar

> - how large are they?
>
> 7mb

> An alternative approach would be to provide a script to download Groovy.
> This would solve both the disadvantages I mention.

Again another external script, + documentation + users aware of it

> We could even perhaps provide a template to download Groovy using JMeter.

In my opinion, too complex , more work for us, more work for user

This could be a useful sample for people to try.

I am waiting for other members opinion on this.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.