jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra0...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Remaining Work before Release of 3.0
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2016 08:50:13 GMT
Hi,

I will continu with this discussion and open new if necessary

> Hi
> Thanks for contrib.
> Maybe you should open a new discussion.
> On Wednesday, March 2, 2016, Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra0077@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > My opinion about the remaining Work before Release of 3.0.
> >
> > JMeter seems to have a significant technical debt and I think it's the
> > moment (because we can broke the compatibility) to reduce it
> >
> > The technical debt I see:
> > Use of no maintained framework (Log, ORO)
>

> Big work has been done already in the upcoming 3.0 ( 7 legacy jars and
> dependencies dropped)
> Big spring cleanup and java7 sugar syntax thanks to many PRs and work by
> team.
>
> I know there was a lot of work and I appreciate it

About Apache ORO which is not maintain anymore, if we need to drop it we
need to check if it break compatibility.
And if the response is yes it will be great to drop it before 3.0 release

> > Old school GUI
>

> That's big work
>
> Very big work and I don't know if it's needed.
But each time a newbie see JMeter for the first time, the reaction is "WTF
with the GUI"
For example LoadRuner which have a Ols school GUI for a long time have work
in it some years ago to modernize it

> > Complex GUI
>

> Some work has been done in 3.0 but there is still ways to improve and
> simplify.
>
> Feel free to open detailed proposals or Bugzillas

I will try to make some PR and if it's too complicated for me I will open
Bugzillas

> > Lack of official feature (JMeter plugin, Maven plugin, etc.)
>

> non official maven plugin exists and works rather nicely.
> What do you mean by JMeter plugin ?

In general I have very bad experience with:
third party plugin (not well integrate, not well tested, not up to date
with the latest release, etc.)
Plugin maintained by only one person (less motivation by the developer,
etc.)

I have write my post to quicly, JMeter plugin = Jenkins plugin

If you check the homepage of the plugin:
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Performance+Plugin

The plugin is tagged "This plugin is up for adoption. No active maintainer
- Looking for new maintainer"

It's not reassuring if you are a newbie and/or want to have a supported
plugin