jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting destination IP for an HTTP request
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 00:09:22 GMT
On 7 September 2016 at 07:29, Refael Botbol <refael@blazemeter.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can we make the IP (of the dns record / hostname being resolved by JMeter)
> a public info which can be:
>
>    1. Added to the request details (for debugging purposes)
>    2. Accessible to via BeanShell / JSR 223
>

> What do you think ?

There are several aspects to this.

Is it possible to obtain the IP address for a connection, and how
expensive is it to do so?

Note that JMeter does not do DNS resolution directly; is it possible
to access the appropriate connection details?
Using a separate lookup will be expensive.
Also in the case of load balancing DNS a separate request may return a
different result.

Which protocol types should be supported?

Should the details be stored in a sample result?
This will potentially increase storage requirements, as well as work
to add the new field to configs and logs.
Or would it be sufficient to provide on-demand access, i.e. provide
access to a method that returns the IP somehow?

I suspect even the simplest implementation will be quite a lot of
work, so what are the use cases for this feature?