jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra0...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ideas for 3.2
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2016 09:17:12 GMT
Hi,

> Hi Felix,
> I am happy too see such enthusiasm !

Happy too :-)

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Felix Schumacher <felix.schumacher@
> internetallee.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > now that we released 3.1, it is time to think about the next release.
> >
> > I think we should update the minimum version of java to 8 (as discussed
> > before).
> >
> +1

+1

> > We could then use the cache library (was it caffeine?)
>

> Yes
>
> > and use javafx for html widgets (I would like to see them used for
> > documentation and template-selection, too).
> >
> I will be commiting the patch for Browser.
>
> And +10 for your ideas

+10000

> > Philippe has proposed to add a boundary based extractor, which I believe
> > could be massaged into the normal regex extractor together with a grok to
> > regex converter.
> >

> Yes , go for Grok
> But I think boundary may also be useful in addition to Regex. From what I
> saw (but maybe I missed something) , it does not seems as easy as that to
> use Grok, the boundary extractor is a not brainer, user just put what he
> bounds the data he wants to extract.
> Grok requires a minimum of documentation reading no ?
> Of course I may be wrong Felix, if I missed something please explain.

Boundary based extractor are the old way in Loadrunner to extract value
from response.
Why do you want to add it in JMeter?

> > We discussed the memory usage of the results tree view, where we could
> not
> > agree on the implementation. I believe this could be combined with a
> filter
> > that sorts samples out, before they even get into the tree view. That
> could
> > be used to filter on thread ids or session id, or even (when implemented
> as
> > a queue) to emit only those samples, that were collected shortly before
> an
> > error (or other event).
> >

> +1
>

> > Logging. We made the start to use slf4j. Should we change the remaining
> > classes too?
> >

> AFAIK, HttpComponents directly migrates to LOG4J2. But I am ok for SLF4J.
> I believe we should not try to migrate existing functionnality of JMeter,
> just plug SLF4J and select log4j2 as implementation and use default
> configuration mechanism. I think we have a lot of other work related to
> CORE features of a load testing tool and should not spend too much energy
> on this part.
>
> We could ask on twitter if users use Logging configuration in JMeter.
>

> > The documentation has still the pdf howtos, which could be converted to
> > html and looked through, if they still work.
> >
> +1

+1

> > Drop generated docs from the source tree.
> >
> No opinion
>

> > Add source-jars to the maven artefacts.
> >
> +10, it has been requested.
>

> > What are your plans / vetoes? I am sure I missed quite a bit.
> >

> I would add as TOP priority but more effort:
>
>    - HTTP/2 : This one should be high priority, this one will soon be very
>    popular and we should implement it.
>    - MQTT : There is a PR for this one

+1 for adding MQTT
But I don't know if integrate the PR is a good idea because I would like to
integrate other messaging protocol (STOMP, AMPQ...)
I will study it asap
Please, wait for some days

>    - Undo/Redo : I sent a mail on this one and a possible way to implement
>    it

+1

>    - Your idea: possible rework of core architecture to at least introduce
>    a pool of threads or switch to async model allowing us to take
> advantage of
>    async io
>    - Websocket
>    - Ajax solution : ParallelController ? or another idea an HTTP Sampler
>    that could contains a children SubRequest and we would reuse partly
> what we
>    have for download embedded resources

+1

> In a previous discussion we had a LOOOOONNNG discussion on DSL.
>
> This seems a bit complex. I am still not convinced that it is useful in all
> fields, but it is useful for:
>
>    - easily coding (REST) Services Load Testing. With Microservices
>    popularity, this is an argument I think
>    - Ease source control comparison in this case. And more widely when
>    comparing tests
>
> Couldn't we start simply by trying to replace XML by JSON as an
> output/input format ? XStream has an implementation for this.
>
> We wouldn't drop XML yet.

It will be interesting to have a target sample of JSON file to check if
it's easiest to read than XML

I would like to have "timer that produces poisson arrivals" from Vladimir
integreted to 3.2.
I will make more test in it

Regards
Antonio