jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Want to help with migrating from Apache LogKit to SLF4J
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2017 20:31:24 GMT
On Monday, January 2, 2017, Woonsan Ko <woonsan@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to help with migrating from Apache LogKit to SLF4J [1], and
> so I've been reading the current logging implementation with logkit,
> avalon-framework and excalibur-logger.

Thanks for your proposal

> From my understanding, maybe we can take the following approach:
> - Since SLF4J API doesn't provide a logging implementation or binding
> by itself, we need to choose one at least such as log4j2 [2] or
> logback. [3] IMHO, log4j2 binding provided by Apache Logging services
> project could be a good default binding option.

+1

> - By the default binding such as log4j2, I mean JMeter should be
> bundled with log4j2 library and its binding library as well as a
> default configuration file (e.g, log4j2.xml), by default. It seems
> neater to separate the logging configuration file from
> jmeter.properties with simply following its default auto-resolving
> conventions such as log4j2.xml [4] or logback.xml [5] to me.

+1

> - It seems like each Logger instance is created as a static member by
> `LoggingManager.getLoggerForXXX()' method(s). I suppose all of those
> should be replaced by simply using slf4j logger factory as done in
> AbstractSampleConsumer.java.

Yes

> - It might be even better if each logging line is more optimized by
> taking advantage of slf4j logging methods (e.g, message format
> arguments and throwable argument).

Yes

> - After all migrated, the old logkit and some other related unused
> libraries should be gone.

A possible option to avoid breaking too many existing third party plugins
would be to embed in source code current logkit logger factory and logger
so that it delegates to slf4j.
We would drop avalon, logkit and  excalibur jars.

> Am I in the right track? Any advice or thoughts?

please wait for other team members to answer before starting code.
Give a week .

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.