jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMeter version numbering
Date Mon, 29 May 2017 21:48:26 GMT
On Monday, May 29, 2017, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 May 2017 at 21:57, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I wonder if our versioning strategy is correct if we are supposed to
> follow
> > :
> >
> >    - http://semver.org/
> >

> No, we do not have to follow that.
> [AFAIK, it was not even in existence when JMeter started]
>
> It's up to individual projects to agree on what to versioning strategy to
> use.
>
> Semantic versioning may or may not be suitable.

it looks like a standard no ?

> But I agree the versioning strategy needs to be documented.

yes

> > For example, 3.1 and 3.2 should maybe have been named 4.0.0 and 5.0.0
> > because they both broke backward compatibility by deprecating/removing
> > elements.
>
> Possibly.
>
> > Besides, in terms of communication, they were not minor at all.
> > Maybe it's time to change this as if you have noticed it, I have read
> > things like:
> >
> >    - This is the first major version of JMeter in over 12 years
> >
> > Which is kind of non sense for me knowing all the features that have been
> > introduced in 2.X "minor" versions.
>
> Yes, it is nonsense.
>
> Note that major version bumps may be seen by some as negative.
> There are lots of projects where a major bump always means
> incompatible changes, with changes required to use them.

probably , but I think we take special care of being able to read plans in
older versions and document all changes and breaking ones.

> The project should not base its versioning strategy on what 3rd parties
> write.
> It needs to decide the strategy independently, document it carefully,
> and ensure it is adhered to going forward.

I think it was unfortunately a rather common perception,  talking with
other testers, they sometimes tell me they didn't find interest in
upgrading as it was a minor version.

We cannot live isolated from what is written on project and need to either
inform or take it into account.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.