jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Pokhilko <a...@ya.ru>
Subject Re: MongoDB driver
Date Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:09:08 GMT
Hi Philippe,

My question is not about dropping, it is about usage level we know and
_possible deprecating_ based on that. Maintaining code that is barely
used could be unnecessary burden for the project.

For example I have feeling that LDAP as protocol should be rarely used
in JMeter just because protocol itself is declining (my assumption is
based on things like
https://trends.google.ru/trends/explore?date=all&q=ldap,oauth,openid or
https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-LDAP-dead-yet)

>From your comments I understood that you see interest on SO for all
modules except LDAP. This matches my intuitive expectation.

Thanks for your analysis on usage of components, it's valuable
information for all of us.

Andrey Pokhilko

On 07/23/2017 05:34 PM, Philippe Mouawad wrote:
> Hello Andrei,
> I don't see why we should drop elements that are not deprecated and are
> used based on bug reports, SO questions.
>
> MongoDB is not in that case as we can consider we are not maintaining it
> and it is deprecated since many months.
>

> Regards
>
> On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Andrey Pokhilko <apc4@ya.ru> wrote:
>
>> Based on these reasons, don't we see also worth deprecating:
>>
>>  1. Mail/SMTP components
>>
> AKAIK, they are not deprecated. And are useful, I saw several questions on
> SO
>
>>  2. LDAP components
>>
> AKAIK, they are not deprecated.
>
>>  3. FTP
>>
> AKAIK, they are not deprecated. And are useful, I saw several questions on
> SO
>
>>  4. Any of other distribution bundle modules (junit/tcp etc)
>>
> AKAIK, they are not deprecated, neither JUnit nor TCP which is used a lot
> from SO questions..
>

>> Possible benefits for users is cleaner UI menus, smaller distribution
>> archive size, faster JMeter startup. Do we have estimations of
>> importance of those parts of JMeter?
>>
>> Andrey Pokhilko
>>
>> On 07/20/2017 10:15 PM, Philippe Mouawad wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> The decision to deprecate was motivated by many reasons:
>>>
>>>    - Very low feedback both on SO, bugzilla and user mailing list
>>>    - No mention at all from MongoDB which seems to have its own tool
>>>    - The effort to upgrade (lot of deprecations) + the fact that an async
>>>    driver was released and that might be a better choice
>>>    - The fact that we need to make choices based on priorities :-) JDBC
>>>    sampler addresses many DB, MongoDB addresses 1 Product. I think it
>> was a
>>>    mistake to add it (my mistake :-) )
>>>
>>> Regards

>> update