jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From "Epp, J Wyatt" <j...@cas.org>
Subject RE: Bug 60190 - Content-Type is added for POST unconditionally
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2017 20:12:30 GMT
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Philippe Mouawad [mailto:p.mouawad@ubik-ingenierie.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 14:45
> To: dev@jmeter.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Bug 60190 - Content-Type is added for POST unconditionally
>
> Hello
> Any feedback on this ?

Sorry, been working on other things and haven't been following the list closely.

> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Philippe Mouawad <
> p.mouawad@ubik-ingenierie.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> How about not adding this anymore if not set and having a property that
>> allows to do that ?
>>
>>    - post_add_content_type_if_missing=false

If I read you correctly, the idea is to default to _not_ adding a default content-type, but
leave the option? That seems fine.  As the OP for this bug, I would certainly like to see
it fixed; it creates some annoying special cases for us.  Even setting aside our self-interest,
from a design standpoint, it violates the principle of least astonishment: there's no indication
anywhere that this behaviour exists, which makes debugging problems caused by it rather tricky.

The way I see it, if you're recording, it should _always_ record, verbatim, exactly the traffic
that passes between the client and server.  The real world sucks and browsers don't always
do what they "SHOULD"; no need to confuse the issue further.

>> What is the risk ?

Honestly, I'd be a bit surprised to find anything relying on this behaviour.  As you note
from the spec, the default lowering should be to "application/octet-stream", not "application/x-www-form-urlencoded",
so anyone looking for that type should have no reasonable expectation that they'll find it.

Cheers,
Wyatt

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic message transmission, including any attachment(s),
may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information from Chemical Abstracts Service
("CAS"), a division of the American Chemical Society ("ACS"). If you have received this transmission
in error, be advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited. Please destroy all copies of the message and contact
the sender immediately by either replying to this message or calling 614-447-3600.