jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HTTP Request: Modify Timeout Default Values
Date Tue, 08 May 2018 07:25:30 GMT
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1) The timeout property is there so the ones who do do understand can tweak
> it
>
> 2) In case you mean "JMeter fails to stop/terminate in presence of long
> requests" (e.g.
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16286500/jmeter-
> http-request-hangs-probably-on-overloaded-network
> ),
> then it should be addressed separately.
>
> I believe, JMeter should stop all the thread groups/samplers as per
> scheduler configuration.
> Does it terminate http requests in question?

on regular shutdown , it will wait for requests to end or to timeout.
Only on stop (interrupt for interruptable samplers) , it interrupts pending
requests , so by default it will not end.
What do you suggest ?

> If it does what is the issue then?
>
> >You mean something like:
> >   - Threads on pending request
> >   - Thread waiting
>
> Exactly. Current JMeter UI (and console mode as well) gives no clue on what
> the threads are doing. Are they hitting the server? Are they waiting?
> How many of them are stuck on a single request for 5+seconds?
> I'm not sure which states to show, however that could greatly simplify
> analysis of "incorrect timer placement, etc, etc".
>
> Note: timeout of 30 seconds is way too big to be user-friendly in terms of
> "immediate feedback on wrong configuration".
> As I start a test, I would like to get some feedback within 5 seconds. Has
> it been started? Is it stuck?

if you have a patch showing how yoy would do it, it would be great

> >I didn't find answers regarding default values.
>
> The idea there is "the defaults are very high". Newbies could be screwed if
> JMeter behaves very different from a regular browser (e.g. 30 second
> timeout instead of 1500).

Maybe, but I feel those are reasonable timeouts nowadays.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.