jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HTTP Request: Modify Timeout Default Values
Date Mon, 07 May 2018 20:22:04 GMT
On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 10:15 PM, Vladimir Sitnikov <
sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:

> >They are currently infinite and frequently I see users on Stackoverflow
>
> Could you provide examples?

https://stackoverflow.com/search?q=%5Bjmeter%5D%C2%A0hangs
Not all of them but many.
I remember having answered at least 10 times to such questions on SO.

And in real life, 11 days ago I had that remarks and the issue was missing
timeout. And again it is very frequent.

> > or in real life think that JMeter has hanged
>
> Does that mean "I've started the load and nothing happens"?

More frequently, JMeter test does not end.

> Could we draw a spinner that does somehow clarify if JMeter is fine?

Can you clarify ?

> Currently we have "number of active threads", however it does not
> distinguish between a thread hitting the server and a thread blocked on a
> timer.

You mean something like:

   - Threads on pending request
   - Thread waiting

> I'm not sure if adding a UI for user-facing thread dump is a good thing,
> but I'm always ending up with capturing thread dumps.

We have such thing. But for example the case  happened in non gui mode.

> >   - 3 sec for connect timeout
> >   - 30 sec for read timeout
>
> The listed values might be too low for those who test 10+ second response
> times.

Yes I agree.

> There's a note that Chrome/Firefox were happy to wait for 1500 seconds:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1342310/where-can-i-
> find-the-default-timeout-settings-for-all-browsers?utm_
> medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa#
> comment65281083_1343963

I didn't find answers regarding default values.
FF about:config shows very high values but I read they were not always
used.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.