jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Milamber <milam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Increase validity duration of JMeter Root CA
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:06:57 GMT

On 19/07/2018 11:03, Philippe Mouawad wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 11:56 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19 July 2018 at 10:34, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Which means all users read the whole documentation, do you think they do
>> ?
>>> I guess you know the famous RTFM :-)

>>> Can you give more details ?
>> The point of a CA is to certify that a certificate chain is valid.
>> Locally generated CA certs do not do this.
>> Once the cert has been approved by the browser, it can be used to
>> certify anything, including a spoof bank site etc.
>>
>> JMeter users may not understand that, and so may not take sufficient
>> care of the certificate and its password.
>> Or they may forget that the cert has been added to the browser.
>>
>> Even some official CAs have inadvertently exposed their certs.
>>
>> I don't think we should ship JMeter with deliberately weak settings.
>>
>> Yes it may be inconvenient, but it is deliberately done to minimise
>> the effects of accidental certificate exposure.
>>
>> Users that understand the risks can override the setting, but that is
>> at their own risk.
>>
>> Remember that once the browser has stored the CA, it will be active
>> regardless of whether JMeter is actually being used.
>> So the sooner it expires, the safer it is.
>> Maybe a week is too *long*.
>>
> I am aware of that, but it means attacker has accessed the machine of user
> to get the CA.
> So the JMeter side is only a consequence, not root cause

The risk is the same if the duration is 7 days or 3 months, because the
attacker need to have access to the private key of the temp JMeter CA
root to generate some fake cert signed by the CA. This private key is on
the machine (keystore.jks)
And if an attacker have already an access to the machine, it's can add
directly another CA (not JMeter CA) into the certs vault on the machine,
to made some malicious opérations...

3 months seems good for me (this is the mean duration for my load test
missions)