jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <p.moua...@ubik-ingenierie.com>
Subject New feature : Readable overview of Test Plan
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2019 12:38:21 GMT
Hello,
I think there is a need in JMeter since we're not a DSL based tool, to
provide an overview of the test for documentation purpose.
It would also help a lot on issue reporting for example

Currently, I think the only available option is to use schematic.sh which
is:

   - outdated
   - very limited
   - not friendly to use, you need to copy the test plan in extras folder
   to make it work

As the expected overview might depend a lot on what somebody wants to see,
what do you think of this as a first step:

   - Create in new Tools menu Item (where we would move Curl, Export
   Transactions for Report, Create Heap/Thread dump) an entry "Export as
   schematic overview"
   - The feature would :

   - open A dialog with Option path to enter Exporter

   - I see at least 2 ways to implement exporter:
      - XSL with schematic way:
         - + : Not much work
         - - : XSL is not very readable nor friendly
         - - : JMeter has no contract on XML

   - Add an interface, JMeter would discover implementation and propose it:
      - We would use the Visitor pattern
      - + : Very flexible
      - + : Easier to maintain, we rely on Java Contract
      - - : More work for user
      - Note we can implement XSL Exporter as first step

   - In the long term, maybe we could be proposing an exporter to YAML or
   JSON

Exporter would look have:
export(File pathToJMeterFile, HashTree testPlan, Writer writer);

Interface for exporter to be implemented:

interface NodeExporter {
 String exportElement(int level, TestElement element, HashTree testPlan);
}

Any thoughts ?

Regards
Philippe