jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Paulo Maia Borges <pmaiabor...@temenos.com>
Subject RE: New feature : Readable overview of Test Plan
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:37:27 GMT
Hi Vladimir,

"if jmx is stored in a Git repository (GitLab? GitHub?), then markdown would be much easier
to review in diffs than HTML"
^ did you mean the export as "xml" instead of "jmx"?

I agree with your point. However, I'm not sure what's the use of tracking diffs in a Test
Plan export (version control, in essence), because we would likely have the JMX (JMeter "script")
itself in version control and, thus, fully tracked in terms of diffs.

I reckon it might be useful to keep exporting both Test-Results *and* Test-Plan-Summary for
test runs. Then, later, it would be useful to compare Test-Plan-Summaries between test runs.
However, I'm not sure this warrants the extra "ease" of comparing XML vs comparing HTML. In
fact, I'm not even sure it would be "easier" to compare XML - we'd need some kind of tool
for that and, more importantly, the ability to interpret the meaning of the XML elements,
which might or might not be trivial, but will certainly be daunting for the less tech-savvy
person.

If a few whole XML sections dis/appear from one file to another, .., the comparison can be
quite hard to interpret - I've been running into that myself with version diffs for our JMX
files when reviewing the Git commits.

Maybe you're right, if it was HTML it would be much harder to spot differences. Though I'm
sceptical of the usefulness of that being of more value than the usefulness of having a graphical
(HTML) way to see the test.

Also, if we export a test-plan pattern to XML, I reckon that pretty much rules out the shareability
of such exported documents with non-technical people...

Regards,
Paulo Augusto Maia Borges
WWVzLCBJJ20gZ2Vla3kuIEJ1dCBzbyBhcmUgeW91IQ==