jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: Migrating build system to Gradle
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2019 19:02:21 GMT

Am 20.02.19 um 21:31 schrieb Vladimir Sitnikov:
> Hi,
>
> I think it is a good time to migrate build system to Gradle.
>
> Can you please express your opinion on that?
>
> If you struggle what to say, you might find the below options useful:
>
> [ ] ++1: 'Wow! I like this! Let's do it!'
> [ ] +1: 'Let's do it!'
> [ ] +0.9: 'This is a cool idea and i like it'

+1 to trying it out (either in a branch or if no sources have to be
moved in trunk)

I have no experience with gradle, but I think it fits our setup better,
as it should be more flexible compare to maven, which works best, when
you structure your code like the maven standard structure.

I think our current ant setup is too complex, so investing time in our
build setup is a positive thing. There is not only beanshell embedded,
but javascript, too. Currently we have to check for the right version of
ant as we use relatively new features, that are not available in older
ant versions.

A few things I would like to see in a new build system:

  * builtin dependency resolution that is compatible with maven

  * an easy way to do release tags

  * good IDE support, so that a new user (or even an experienced one)
can easily run and debug JMeter from within her favourite IDE

  * knowledge of GIT as a CVS ;)

  * builtin checks for hashsums of dependencies

  * should be familiar to many developers

Regards

  Felix