jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [git] How to update local clone of vlsi/jmeter/gradle
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2019 16:54:47 GMT
sebb>Why is it necessary to reset?

It is described in https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Branching-Rebasing

I do rebase from time to time (which you can see as "vlsi force-pushed the
vlsi:gradle branch" in the GitHub UI)

The case for rebase is to combine individual commits and pretend as if I
developed "a very clever" commit right from the start.

For instance:
Here's a commit where I accidentally deleted WitnessPlugin.kt file:
https://github.com/apache/jmeter/pull/448/commits/0084222ab06a374b9949b57cf50b370aed7ff0d1
Here's a commit where I re-added it:
https://github.com/apache/jmeter/pull/448/commits/7e29d86ae62b7ab06388200df03e8c7391103256

Later (e.g. today) I will combine those so the git history would look
simpler and easier to follow.

sebb> I have other clones where I don't update locally, and git pull works
fine.

Well, git pull == git fetch + git merge. I don't like "accidental
unexpected merge", so I've never really used git pull.

I learned gitk tool long ago to visualize git history, and I use it
extensively (even though the tool is quite old).
Note: in macOS you want to use mac's wish instead of X11-based Tcl/tk.
However that depends on the way you install git (I use MacPorts+Nixpkgs mix
for fun purposes).

My typical flow is:
1) git fetch # fetch server-side changes
2) gitk --all # show history with all the branches

The tree there grows from bottom, so you can browse what really have
changed since your last fetch.
You see how branches divert (if they do).
You can reset from gitk as well (which I do quite often). That is you
pin-point the commit, right-click it and reset to that state.

There are other "cool" tools like GitUp, however I failed to adopt them.
gitk seems to be good enough for me.

Vladimir