jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMeter releases vs manual steps
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2019 11:39:35 GMT
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 at 08:10, Vladimir Sitnikov
<sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see "vote" mail includes links to a "preview" website.
> I guess it is documented with white letters in ReleaseCreation.
>
> I see the following options:
> A) Push "preview" via sftp (~
> https://reference.apache.org/committer/newaccount#personal-web-space )

OK, but there is no SSH access to home.apache.org which makes things harder.

> B) Push "preview" to GitHub pages site for ASF GitBox-hosted repository
>  (Infra can enable https://pages.github.com/ ).
> C) Push "preview" to https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jmeter/test/ . I'm
> not sure if it is sane though.

-1

However it would be OK to push to a directory under:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/jmeter/

Might be worth pushing a small test site to see how it behaves in a browser.

> D) Add "version selector" to the main site and push site updates from a
> builds.a.o job right to the main site. For instance, PostgreSQL
> documentation has a link to "devel" version which is something close to
> "documentation right from the current HEAD":
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/index.html

That would be OK, so long as it was very clear that the docs are for
unreleased code.
And/or don't link to the main site, so it can only be found if you know the URL.

> It looks like Milamber follows "A", however we might want to have
> up-to-date preview as well, not just "once upon RC". I don't really like
> the idea to automate sftp either.
> C does not seem right.
> D might look like an ultimate solution, however it does require non-trivial
> work to build multi-versioned site, so I would not consider it for now.
>
> This leaves something behind the lines of B.
> Then we have
> B.1) "asf-site" branch to publish jmeter.apache.org (which is what ASF
> suggests)
> B.2) "gh-pages" branch to publish apache.github.io/jmeter-site (==we ask
> Infra to enable GitHub pages for gh-pages branch) which becomes our
> "preview"
>
> Apache Jenkins has "git-websites" (see
> https://builds.apache.org/label/git-websites/ ) label for the machines that
> have "push" rights, so we can keep "gh-pages" up to date.
>
> Any other suggestions?

See above.