jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migrate SVN -> Git
Date Mon, 27 May 2019 20:52:37 GMT
sebb> -1, because that loses all the SVN history.

I'm afraid you are wrong. Could you please clarify what do you mean?
Note: SVN repository is NEVER killed. It would still be around in read-only
mode.

sebb> AFAICT, there is no way to find historic SVN revisions in the
cleaned-up repo

SVN revision numbers (and branch names) are present in commit messages.
For instance:
https://github.com/vlsi/jmeter-git-cleanup-result/commit/561048407dab3afcfd880b168fabdeeeabb8422d

There are two references:
1) Reference to SVN:   git-svn-id:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jmeter/trunk@1860117
2) Reference to "old Git mirror": Former-commit-id:
184a9d5a5ea8badd1b1616dad0ff2f327a9b0756

sebb> Also, where in the history are the files that have been deleted?

The deleted files are still available via SVN read-only mirror.

sebb> I think INFRA need to review the script to make sure that it preserves
sebb> all necessary provenance.

Great note, indeed. That is up to them though. I don't think we can do much
here.

sebb> -1 to combining Git with Gradle for the reasons stated above.

What about the use of https://github.com/vlsi/jmeter-git-cleanup-result for
Git?
It looks like the only your concerns were "missing SVN revisions" (which
are present) and "lost files" (which will be available through read-only
SVN).
I read that as you have no concerns regarding jmeter-git-cleanup-result
besides the one that INFRA should check that somehow.

Vladimir