jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release 5.2.1
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:53:39 GMT
>That’s what is done with maven when you want to force a newer version than
the one embedded by dependency

Remember there are frameworks and there are libraries.

binary distribution of JMeter is a framework: it enforces you to put jars
into relevant places, and start with ./jmeter.

On the other hand, jar files on Maven Central are libraries. They do not
enforce the way you use them.

The one who uses Maven artifacts is free to select the suitable versions.

The rule for dependencies should be as follows:
1) If we use the class (e.g. in extends, method parameter or method
returning value), then the dependency should be explicitly declared
2) If we do not use a dependency (e.g. we do not use asm explicitly), then
the dependency should not be declared
3) The exception to #2 is the case when the transitive version is too old
(e.g. contains security issue), then we could still declare an "unused
dependency".

Unfortunately, there's no validation for the dependencies yet, and I'm
planning to implement one shortly.

Vladimir