johnzon-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do we (have to) support Java 1.6?
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2014 11:01:03 GMT
Yesterday I read a mail bout Commons Logging dropping support for jdk
1.1 (or 1.2? not sure)

Fleece is lib too and now the question is how easily we can get rid of
outdated jdks once
we support it.

If its like with Commons (support as long as possible) then we will
stick with jdk1.6 for
long, long time. In this case I would say just use 7.

If people here are fine with having a sane end of life cycle, then I'd
say support it,
but drop support after Oracle dropped suppport (jdk 6 is already
dropped):

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Please also have in mind that supporting outdated jdks means man power,
which is maybe
necessary else where in a small team.

That being said, I wouldn't bother with jdk6 anymore. But well, i am not
actively coding,
its just my thoughts on the topic in general.

regards