johnzon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID>
Subject clarification of JsonReader
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 20:23:18 GMT
Hi!

I have a question regarding the behaviour of JsonReader. I don't like to know how our impl
behaves right now

but what is expected by the specification.

Currently our JsonReader always consumes the whole input. And it even blows up if there is
anything else on the stream. See JsonReaderImpl#readValue ("Expected end of file",...)

What I did expect is the following:

The JsonReader basically consumes the JsonParser and makes JsonObject etc from it.

Now for what I was looking for:
I was about using JsonParser and parse the stream manually. But sometimes I need a full Object.
Means my JsonParser might be positioned on the start of an object ('{'). If I create a new
JsonReaderImpl(jsonParser) and call readObject() then it blows up. It doesn't go down the
object tree, creates JsonObjects and stops after it finishes THIS LEVEL. But instead it tries
to continue until there is no more element.

The question now is: am I expecting the wrong behaviour?

The reason why I'm asking is that the Mapper currently is a bit asymmetric. It uses the streaming
API (JsonGenerator) for writing objects but the tree API (JsonReader) for reading objects
back.

Most of the time this doesn't matter for the end user, as all this is hidden behind the Mapper.
But for ObjectConverter it makes a difference. Of course it will work, but it is not very
obvious.

Any ideas?

LieGrue,
strub