johnzon-dev mailing list archives

From Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: clarification of JsonReader
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 20:43:28 GMT
Hi Mark

> Hi!
>
> I have a question regarding the behaviour of JsonReader. I don't like to know how our
impl behaves right now

> but what is expected by the specification.
>
> Currently our JsonReader always consumes the whole input. And it even blows up if there
is anything else on the stream. See JsonReaderImpl#readValue ("Expected end of file",...)

Sounds right to me

> What I did expect is the following:
>
> The JsonReader basically consumes the JsonParser and makes JsonObject etc from it.
>
> Now for what I was looking for:
> I was about using JsonParser and parse the stream manually. But sometimes I need a full
Object. Means my JsonParser might be positioned on the start of an object ('{'). If I create
a new JsonReaderImpl(jsonParser) and call readObject() then it blows up. It doesn't go down
the object tree, creates JsonObjects and stops after it finishes THIS LEVEL. But instead it
tries to continue until there is no more element.

This is right too I think, ie JsonReader is a stream reader (until the end).

> The question now is: am I expecting the wrong behaviour?
>

> The reason why I'm asking is that the Mapper currently is a bit asymmetric. It uses the
streaming API (JsonGenerator) for writing objects but the tree API (JsonReader) for reading
objects back.

> Most of the time this doesn't matter for the end user, as all this is hidden behind the
Mapper. But for ObjectConverter it makes a difference. Of course it will work, but it is not
very obvious.

> Any ideas?

Yep, fork the few relevant part of reader (sorry but I'd like mapper
be independent of core) - aka parseObject(JsonObjectBuilder ) and
parseArray(JsonArrayBuilder ). Makes ~100 lines to fork solving this
smoothly IMO and linking the parser mapper reader can use and
converters which can need a MapperObject integration.