johnzon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Johnzon 1.2.0
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2019 07:44:19 GMT
+1

There are essentially 2 big differences between the JavaEE/JakartaEE and the ASF API:

1.) The license. the official APIs are licensed CDDL+GPLv2CPE and now EPL or GPLv2CPE. All
of them are either strong or weak copyleft licenses. So you have to at least notify downstream
consumers. The ASF version is ALv2, so it is very liberal without any restrictions.
2.) We try to be as OSGi friendly as we can. That's the reason why many OSGi projects use
our API instead of the originals.

Of course, often the docs in the official APIs are way better than what we have. This is due
to that we are not legally allowed to copy the docs 1:1 but have to write it all ourselves
with our own words. And that's a crazy amount of work.

LieGrue,
strub