juddi-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Viens" <svi...@steveviens.com>
Subject RE: [jUDDI-developers] logging
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:54:05 GMT
Sorry, I should have explained logging to everyone already....

A Simple logging implementation IS ready and working well  ... all you
have to do to use it is call one of the static methods of the
org.juddi.util.Log class (info, warn, error, fatal, debug).

   Log.info("This is much better than using System.out Alex.");

If you would like your log messages to be sent to the console (similar
to using System.out) simply make sure the 'juddi.logger' property is set
in the juddi.properties file as follows:

   juddi.logger = org.juddi.logger.SimpleConsoleLogger

Or, if you would rather have log messages sent to a juddi.log file (in
the logs directory in this case) set the 'juddi.logger' property to the
following:

   juddi.logger = org.juddi.logger.SimpleFileLogger

With the SimpleFileLogger you can decide the name and location of the
log file and determine if the log file should be overwritten each time
the system is started up. Do this with the following two properties:

   juddi.simple-file-logger.logFileName = logs/juddi.log
   juddi.simple-file-logger.appendToLog = false

Finally, you may also decide to turn on or off particular logging
categories ... Here are the properties to set (I think it's
self-explanatory):

   juddi.logger.infoCapture = true
   juddi.logger.warnCapture = true
   juddi.logger.fatalCapture = true
   juddi.logger.errorCapture = true
   juddi.logger.debugCapture = true

Bill Ren is currently working on a Log4j implementation that will
probably be the default logging mechanism for jUDDI. I created these two
for us to use in the meantime (it takes some of the pressure off of
Bill).

Was that clear enough? Hit me with questions please!

Steve

Steve Viens
jUDDI Project Manager
sviens@steveviens.com