juddi-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Viens" <svi...@steveviens.com>
Subject RE: [jUDDI-developers] JavaUUIDGen
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:05:12 GMT
First - our UUID Generation mission statement  (lol)

*****  Develop a UUID generator that's FAST, TRUE (as in 'generates true
UUID's'), works on ANY OS, and requires the LEAST amount of EFFORT to
configure (preferably NONE). *****

In this case I like the idea of using an empty property in the
juddi.properties file. Then check to see what comes back - if we pick up
a 'null' value then either "blow up" an log a few messages on EXACTLY
what the problem is and EXACTLY how to fix it ... or - still log the
messages but don't blow up and simply use the SecureRandom version.

Hab had another thought on UUID generation (which sounded interesting -
but I couldn't explain it to you). Maarten and Hab can work that idea
and see what they come up with.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: juddi-developers-admin@lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:juddi-developers-admin@lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Alex
Ceponkus
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 8:24 PM
To: Maarten Coene; juddi-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [jUDDI-developers] JavaUUIDGen

Thanks for doing this work Maarten.  Just brainstorming and curious what
others think ... would it make sense to: by default have 0 (or something
else invalid) as the ethernet address in the properties file which will
force juddi to use the secure random version of the java uuid generator.
Then if they put in a real ethernet address, we automagically switch to
Maarten's updated UUID generator.  Just worried that most people will
just leave the defaults as is.  Thoughts?

Alex