juddi-dev mailing list archives

From "Bob Hablutzel" <...@hablutzel.com>
Subject RE: [jUDDI-developers] JavaUUIDGen
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:40:08 GMT
Seems right. I'm willing to let Maarten take the lead on this, since he's
already in the code. I was really only concerned about the system-wide
locking, which may be too paranoid based on expect usage of the product. (Do
we ever expect there to be two jUDDI servers running on the same machine at
the same time?)

hab

-----Original Message-----
From: juddi-developers-admin@lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:juddi-developers-admin@lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of Steve
Viens
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 10:23 AM
To: juddi-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [jUDDI-developers] JavaUUIDGen

Hab and Maarten.

Whatever solution(s) you come up with please add the code to the 'core'
juddi source tree (as opposed to developing it as a separate juddi
'module').

The strategy is that jUDDI will try to create a UUIDGen from properties
specified in the juddi.properties file. If there is a problem then
warning messages will be written to the log and jUDDI will default to
use the SimpleUUIDGen implementation. This way jUDDI will always start
up. ... no head scratching during or after installation.

So...

If you come up with a solution that does not require ANY configuration
at all or any other libraries or external resources (i.e. completely
stands alone). Then please replace the org.juddi.uuidgen.SimpleUUIDGen
class with your code.

However ... If there is *any* configuration at all or required java lib
(or system utility that doesn't exist on all platforms) then please
create a new package called:

   org.juddi.uuidgen.<whatever>

...and add your code there. AND replace the code in 'SimpleUUIDGen' with
that from the SecureRandomUUIDGen (since this can stand alone - sure
it's slow but it always works on any OS and without configuration or
external requirements).

Does this sound reasonable to you guys?

Steve