juddi-dev mailing list archives

From "Bob Hablutzel" <...@hablutzel.com>
Subject RE: [jUDDI-developers] JavaUUIDGen
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:27:10 GMT
I'd envision something pluggable, so there could be NULL implementation that
did, well, nothing.

hab

-----Original Message-----
From: juddi-developers-admin@lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:juddi-developers-admin@lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of Alex
Ceponkus
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 11:39 AM
To: Bob Hablutzel; Maarten Coene; juddi-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [jUDDI-developers] JavaUUIDGen

> Let's see: first off, picking a different port each time would break the
> lock - you would have no way of knowing which lock a particular thread of
> execution was picking. So that won't help.

Yeah, noticed that just as I hit the 'send' button.  Forget spell check,
Outlock needs an algorithm check.

> BTW, I think this global lock is worth it even if we don't anticipate
> multiple production 0.6 servers. There might be a test and a production,
> etc. HOWEVER, that's because I'm a paranoid pain in the ass; I don't mind
> being ignored in this case.

My vote is also to implement a global lock even if we find that the port
method doesn't work for whatever reason.  However, we might want to consider
letting administrators disable the global locking from the property file.