juddi-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Jack" <aj...@TrySybase.com>
Subject RE: [juddi-Developers] using junit
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 11:13:09 GMT
	junit probably will not help us with all the tests, we still need DB tests
	and UDDI4J test clients separately. hmmm.. may be if we have all of them as
	junit tests, but separate them as 2 groups, one testsuite that holds the
	tests that can be run nightly and which doesn't involve any DB process and
	the other testsuite which can be used by developers in a completely
	installed environment.

I once tried a naming convention for test suites (AllTests.java for
standalone unit tests, and EnvDependentTests.java). I combined these into
high level suites. That said, since using Eclipse to run tests (it does a
class search, it doesn't need to use suites) and since using Centipede/Ant
to build/test (similar approach), I've pretty much given up on them.

If by "suite" you meant directories, that makes sense. Centipede will look
at src/test and run junit on all tests in there, so you could put the
environment dependent tests into third directory. Me, I kept them in
src/java -- 'cos they only get run by me, from the JUnit GUI, when I need to
run them. Not ideal, but better than not having them.

Much as I think you need a site (perhaps w/ automated access) for
interoperability testing, I suspect that'd be hard work to attain
(resources/access/automation/management). I doubt it'd pay off near as much
as changing the code to be more unit testable. For example, have code to
process a query (perhaps generate SQL, or whatever) even if you can't apply
it to a DB for SQL verification. Also, have a 'TestDataStore' that can be
used for unit tests, that sort of stuff. Just my tuppence...

regards

Adam