juddi-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Cutright <acutri...@borland.com>
Subject Re: [juddi-Developers] using junit
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 08:27:06 GMT
hi ya'll,

thanks for the feedback. i wanted to make sure there was no dogmatic
adherenece to the letter of junit's structure. it sounds to me like
we're on the same page about using junit.

Adam Jack wrote:

>	Hi Andy, to be honest I haven't given it much thought since coming to
>	the conclusion that jUDDI needs a JUnit test suite. I like the fact that
>	JUnit is well documented, open-source and has such a large installed
>	base. The fact that JUnit also includes Ant tasks is another bonus IMHO.
>
>Not sure I follow that last statement, but ant can run junit, and junit can
>even run (test) ant tasks [not that you have any, I believe.]
>
>What is key about junit (IMHO) is that tests become "build time verified
>assertions", and that is 1000 times better than documentation. If possible,
>tests need to exercise each 'API' to a class, in part to ensure it never
>changes. Tests become user advocates.

yeah, i'm aiming at a test plan organized around the API. the structure
of the classes will fall out of that.

>That junit test runners will go out and find any *Test.class and attempt to
>run it as a test, is very powerful, 'cos adding tests becomes so easy. As
>such, I don't  think you need to give "lay out" much thought (just stick
>things in src/test -- usually in a package parallel to the package you are
>testing, 'cos this allows test access to package only methods/variables).

as i play with junit, i'll try to write to its strengths. this is the
sorta stuff i don't know about junit yet.

i hadn't really thought about testing 'inside' juddi. we could have a
compliance test suite and an internal test suite (persistence layer,
etc.), but i would think a compliance suite would exersize all the
functionality appropriately.

does sourceforge allow us to run our own webserver? it'd be easy enough
to setup tomcat & test, if that's allowed. we just put it on a
non-standard port.. i'm not too familiar with the sourceforge process.
doesn't it provide 'build farms' for the projects? or is it just a CVS/
project repository?

cheers,
andy