juddi-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Viens" <st...@viens.net>
Subject RE: [juddi-Developers] First performance numbers for jUDDI
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:02:04 GMT
Matias,

Not much has been done to measure jUDDI performance to date. I'll be
very interested in what you discover and very happy to help to improve
this.  I bet we'll quickly identify some low-hanging fruit that will
speed things up.

Can you tell me:

   1. Could you define what you refer to as a "publish operation".

   2. Is the HSQL database on the same machine (running in the same VM)?

   3. Are you using jUDDI's custom connection pooling?  (i.e.
juddi.useConnectionPool=true)

   4. Are you building jUDDI from the source in CVS or using 0.8.0
binary download?

   5. What Log4j logging level do you have set (in log4j.properties)?

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: juddi-developers-admin@lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:juddi-developers-admin@lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
Francisco Matias Cuenca-Acuna
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 9:17 AM
To: juddi-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [juddi-Developers] First performance numbers for jUDDI

    Hi again. I've started to measure the performance of jUDDI on my
particular setup which is as follows:

Server:

    -Latest juddi running on JWSDK

    -HSQLDB database (using direct jdbc conection)

    -All running in a quad Pentium III 500Mhz with 1GB of ram

Clients:

    -I have seven distributed across US

    -Use UDDI4J

    -run on at least 800Mhz machines

    My first test is about write performance, for this matter I
downloaded all business entities from www.xmethods.com (Total of 3272
providing 419
services) and I gave a copy of this set to all of the clients. Then I
start all the clients in parallel to publish new entities as fast as
possible while measuring throughput. Using this configuration, I can
saturate all the 4 cpus of the server.

    Now the results are very discouraging, the overall troughput is
10.39 publish operations per second. Any idea why am I getting such a
lame performance??? As far as I can tell the neither the DB nor the disk
is the bottleneck. It seems as if the CPU is consumed exclusively by
juddi and tomcat.

    Any suggestions??? I will start benchmarking read performance today

        Matias

PS: Each client only authenticates with juddi at the beginning of a
benchmark session