juddi-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Kurt T Stam <kurt.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Status meeting Feb 11-2009
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:03:10 GMT
In the meeting Tom Cunningham, Jeff Faath, Kurt Stam

Summary:
1. Release of 2.0rc6
2. Jeff is going to finish up work on 
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JUDDI-187, after which we can start 
a vote for releasing jUDDI-3.0 alpha.
3. When jUDDI alpha is release we'd like to publish this so we can get 
some feedback from the community (jUDDI-user, TSS, FreshMeat)
4. There are 2 issues left for jUDDI-2.0 final, Tom is working 
onhttp://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JUDDI-89, Kurt will look into 
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JUDDI-53. By next meeting we'd like 
to have release jUDDI-2.0 final, so we can switch the v3 work to the trunk.
5. For next meeting we are looking to add (sub)tasks to beta 
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=10401&fixfor=12313630
so that we can agree on the work that needs to go into beta and we can 
(re)distribute the work load.
Tom will take a look at the subscription API tasks, Jeff will look at 
replication and custody transfer, Kurt is looking in the remaining; 
subscriptionListener, valuesetCashing and valuesetValidation APIs

--Kurt


[11:00am] tcunning: Are we all set to get started?
[11:00am] jfaath: I
[11:00am] jfaath: type
[11:00am] jfaath: really
[11:00am] kurtstam: I am.
[11:00am] jfaath: s-l-o-w
[11:00am] kurtstam: lol
[11:00am] kurtstam: use fewer dashes
[11:00am] jfaath: good point
[11:01am] kurtstam: So we released juddi-2.0rc6 huray!
[11:01am] tcunning: Sweet.
[11:01am] kurtstam: the website is updated
[11:01am] jfaath: cool
[11:01am] kurtstam: and the juddi-distribution and juddi-tomcat are on 
the download mirrors
[11:02am] kurtstam: http://www.apache.org/dist/ws/juddi/2_0RC6/
[11:02am] kurtstam: and the build artifacts are up in the repos
[11:02am] kurtstam: I'd like to start a vote for jUDDI-3.0alpha this week
[11:04am] kurtstam: I guess we have 1 jira open
[11:04am] jfaath: so just 187 needs to be finished?
[11:04am] kurtstam: Jeff can I help with that?
[11:04am] kurtstam: yeah
[11:04am] jfaath: where's the best spot for documentation, in one of the 
docs created already I assume?
[11:05am] kurtstam: yep, already I added some stuff on authentication 
(Chapter 2)
[11:05am] kurtstam: in the UserGuide.
[11:06am] jfaath: ok, cool
[11:06am] kurtstam: I guess it needs some updating
[11:06am] kurtstam: I can fix the unittest if you want
[11:06am] jfaath: really, what I did doesn't change anything, it just 
moves checks for a publisher to the Auth impl
[11:06am] jfaath: so that users don't have to use the Publisher entity
[11:06am] kurtstam: yeah but the default behavior is no longer a 
passthrough right?
[11:07am] jfaath: well, the default used to pass through, then in the 
security API a check for the publisher was performed (based on the 
returned id)
[11:07am] kurtstam: and I think we need some wording about what we think 
people can use this
[11:07am] kurtstam: right
[11:07am] jfaath: but I moved that publisher check to Auth impl
[11:08am] jfaath: so, it essentially works the same
[11:08am] jfaath: but I'll look at the documentation and update as necessary
[11:08am] kurtstam: right so it won't take you long to update the docs
[11:08am] kurtstam: cool
[11:09am] kurtstam: so hopefully we can start a vote on that later today 
or tomorrow.
[11:09am] kurtstam: On juddi-2.0 we have 4 open issues
[11:09am] tcunning: i've got my 20rc6 changes ready to merge
[11:09am] tcunning: but i'm still working on the huge patch
[11:09am] kurtstam: I think 131 can be moved to v3 beta
[11:10am] kurtstam: tom you are working on a combined fix for 89 and 53?
[11:11am] tcunning: no - i'm only working on the mega patch right now, 
haven't looked at generic save yet
[11:12am] kurtstam: want me to take 53?
[11:12am] tcunning: sure if you want to
[11:13am] tcunning: is there anything other than 187 on 3.0alpha?
[11:13am] kurtstam: yeah lemme see if this specific to jUDDI
[11:13am] kurtstam: no that's it for alpha
[11:13am] kurtstam: right?
[11:14am] jfaath: wait, I've changed the entire model, we are no longer 
using database tables, but xml file storage
[11:14am] kurtstam: rofl
[11:14am] jfaath: let me commit that now
[11:14am] kurtstam: which jira is that?
[11:15am] jfaath: i put it in the axis project, figured it would be fun 
if you tried to find it
[11:15am] kurtstam: I bet that was juddi-190
[11:15am] kurtstam: I just deleted it
[11:15am] jfaath: yes, my middle name is Ronal
[11:15am] kurtstam: lol
[11:15am] kurtstam: k Jeff so what about moving juddi-131 to 3.0beta?
[11:15am] jfaath: yea, that should work
[11:16am] jfaath: I remember looking at that stuff a while back
[11:16am] kurtstam: so I guess that leaves us with 3 bugs
[11:16am] jfaath: I don't recall it being that involved and therefore 
that useful
[11:16am] kurtstam: for 2.0
[11:17am] jfaath: i was just looking at 56
[11:17am] kurtstam: one for each of us
[11:17am] jfaath: it basically factors out that appending of the NAME 
condition to one method
[11:17am] kurtstam: how do we feel about finishing 2.0?
[11:17am] jfaath: as opposed to being in every query classs
[11:18am] kurtstam: is it refactoring for the sake of refactoring?
[11:18am] jfaath: yea, i don't know that it adds anything or if it's 
just trying to reduce code
[11:18am] tcunning: if it's just those three bugs, it seems like that's 
not that bad.
[11:18am] kurtstam: how is it done in 3.0?
[11:19am] jfaath: i have a generic FindEntityByName and 
FindBusinessByName, etc that inherits
[11:19am] kurtstam: so it's fixed in 3.0?
[11:19am] jfaath: yea
[11:20am] kurtstam: maybe we can simply leave it in 2.0 then and mark it 
fixed in 3.0
[11:20am] kurtstam: if it is not actually fixing a bug
[11:21am] jfaath: yea, it seems like it's more work than necessary
[11:21am] jfaath: it could do more harm than good
[11:21am] kurtstam: do you agree Tom?
[11:21am] tcunning: Sounds good to me!
[11:21am] kurtstam: cool, so Jeff just add the comment on how it's fixed 
in 3.0
[11:21am] kurtstam: and close it
[11:22am] kurtstam: Tom are you creating test cases to check the 
performance that we can reuse in 3.0?
[11:22am] jfaath: ok
[11:22am] tcunning: i will - i'm still trying to get tests to pass.
[11:24am] kurtstam: k
[11:25am] kurtstam: so I guess we can release alpha soon, I will create 
a tag, then we can keep on working on the v3 branch for beta, while 2.0 
is being finished
[11:26am] kurtstam: and as soon as it is we'll switch 2.0 to the branch
[11:26am] jfaath: yea, I'll have 187 done by this afternoon
[11:26am] kurtstam: and v3 to the trunk
[11:26am] kurtstam: great
[11:27am] kurtstam: so the v3 branch will be 'frozen' for a bit after 
187 is done for me to do the release prep
[11:28am] kurtstam: looks like we have a plan? Want to go around to 
discuss issues?
[11:28am] kurtstam: if you have any that is
[11:29am] tcunning: No issues here
[11:29am] jfaath: I can't think of any offhand
[11:30am] kurtstam: k I only want to bring up that we should look at 
what goes into beta in jira
[11:30am] kurtstam: and add tasks/sub tasks
[11:30am] jfaath: there big things like that unfinished APIs
[11:30am] kurtstam: yeah so we should call those out
[11:30am] kurtstam: and decide what goes in beta
[11:31am] kurtstam: and break them up into workable subtasks
[11:31am] kurtstam: any takers for specific APIs?
[11:31am] jfaath: and then small things, hopefully the community will 
test the alpha release and find some bugs (or not find them!)
[11:31am] kurtstam: (to create the tasks)
[11:31am] jfaath: well, I intend to work on replication at some point
[11:31am] tcunning: how do we get more people to check out 3.0alpha?
[11:32am] tcunning: maybe we should talk about promoting that a bit
[11:32am] kurtstam: I was hoping to publish to the serverside
[11:32am] kurtstam: about alpha
[11:32am] kurtstam: any other ideas?
[11:32am] kurtstam: infoQ?
[11:33am] kurtstam: I think documentation and juddi-tomcat.zip are keys
[11:33am] kurtstam: key
[11:34am] jfaath: well, hopefully there's lurkers on the lists
[11:35am] kurtstam: so tom can you work breaking out the subscription 
API into subtasks?
[11:35am] tcunning: sure
[11:35am] kurtstam: juddi-153
[11:35am] tcunning: maybe we publish to freshmeat too?
[11:35am] kurtstam: Jeff I think you had some ideas on transfer?
[11:36am] jfaath: custody transfer?
[11:36am] kurtstam: yeah was it that one?
[11:36am] jfaath: it's intimately connected with replication
[11:36am] jfaath: so, when one is done, the other essentially will be
[11:37am] jfaath: I've already done the ownership transfer part
[11:37am] kurtstam: k  do you think you can break the remaining down in 
taks in jira?
[11:38am] jfaath: yea, when I start looking to implement, I'll go 
through the API and sub-task it
[11:39am] kurtstam: leaves us security
[11:39am] kurtstam: subscriptionListener
[11:39am] kurtstam: valuesetCasging
[11:39am] jfaath: security is done
[11:39am] kurtstam: valuesetValidation
[11:39am] kurtstam: ah
[11:40am] kurtstam: right
[11:40am] jfaath: and a lot of the other apis are "client" apis
[11:41am] kurtstam: does the subscriptionListener depend on subscription?
[11:41am] jfaath: meaning they can't really be implemented in a general 
sense
[11:41am] jfaath: well, i think it's what a subscription client would 
write to do asynchronous subscription calls
[11:42am] kurtstam: k
[11:42am] kurtstam: I can take a look at how we'd deal with those then
[11:43am] jfaath: we could look into how to implement a generic one
[11:43am] jfaath: but I would consider that low priority
[11:43am] kurtstam: yeah might come after beta
[11:43am] kurtstam: but it'd be nice to have a roadmap in jira
[11:43am] jfaath: yea
[11:44am] tcunning: Hey - for next meeting, are we shooting for having 
20 done?
[11:45am] kurtstam: for sure alpha, I think your time may determine if 
we can get 2.0 donw?
[11:45am] tcunning: k
[11:45am] kurtstam: how does that look?
[11:47am] tcunning: I'll definitely try to have the patch wrapped up by 
then.
[11:47am] kurtstam: cool then as long as we can get jira in order for 
beta we start work on it and nail down what goes in it in next meeting?
[11:48am] kurtstam: and we can (re)distribute the tasks
[11:49am] jfaath: sounds like a plan
[11:49am] kurtstam: cool
[11:49am] kurtstam: any thing else?
[11:50am] jfaath: not that I can think of, let's get alpha out and see 
if we can get some community involvement
[11:50am] kurtstam: +1
[11:50am] tcunning: +1
[11:50am] jfaath: +e
[11:51am] jfaath: 2.718281828
[11:51am] tcunning: look at jeff trying to get 2.7 votes
[11:51am] tcunning: outvote us
[11:51am] tcunning: trixxy
[11:51am] kurtstam: pi
[11:52am] tcunning: wow, just one-upped

Mime
View raw message