juddi-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Problem with how uddi-ws build works and maven snapshots
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 00:03:48 GMT

On Jun 16, 2011, at 2:42 PM, Kurt Stam wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> You should be able to specify a jaxws21 classifier to get the jaxws21 version?

Hi Kurt,

I might not have explained the problem very well.  However, I compared the jars I got from
(no profile) and -Pjaxws21 and the only difference I can see is in some maven files, the class
files all have the same size so I'd guess they are identical.  Can you explain what the difference
is?  Usually a possibly different dependency is not a good enough reason to add a classifier.
 I'd suggest compiling with the jaxws 2.1 spec and marking it as provided so the user can
supply whatever spec they want.  Also, does this stuff really require jaxb 2.2?  I'd guess
that since it works with jaxws 2.1 it doesn't.

Anyway.... back the the problem I think is happening (but haven't verified).

When you run mvn deploy it updates the maven-metadata.xml to indicate the timestamp and build
number of the uploaded snapshot artifacts.  When maven tries to download a "SNAPSHOT" it looks
at this metadata to find the most recent upload.  So, after I just pushed a plain uddi-ws-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
the metadata looks like this:

<metadata modelVersion="1.1.0">
  <groupId>org.apache.juddi</groupId>
  <artifactId>uddi-ws</artifactId>
  <version>3.1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <versioning>
    <snapshot>
      <timestamp>20110616.210535</timestamp>
      <buildNumber>16</buildNumber>
    </snapshot>
    <lastUpdated>20110616210535</lastUpdated>
    <snapshotVersions>
      <snapshotVersion>
        <extension>jar</extension>
        <value>3.1.0-20110616.210535-16</value>
        <updated>20110616210535</updated>
      </snapshotVersion>
      <snapshotVersion>
        <extension>pom</extension>
        <value>3.1.0-20110616.210535-16</value>
        <updated>20110616210535</updated>
      </snapshotVersion>
    </snapshotVersions>
  </versioning>
</metadata>
The previously existing uddi-ws-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT-jaxws21.jar still there but not mentioned in
the metadata so I think it may be inaccessible.  On the other hand somehow it got into the
repo without a timestamp which I thought was impossible so I could be wrong.

I'd still like to understand what the 2 ways of building the jar are for.

thanks!
david jencks

> --Kurt
>
> On Jun 16, 2011, at 17:13, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I think there's a problem with how the build generates the two uddi-ws artifacts,
plain and with the jaxws21 classifier.  Geronimo has been needing the plain one so I deployed
a snapshot.  The snapshot repo now contains both but with different timestamp versions and
the maven-metadata.xml only mentions the most recent.  I think this means that the jaxws21-classifier
one will now be completely inaccessible.

>> I think to fix this we need to find a way to build both artifacts with one maven
invocation.  I'm not sure how to do this.... if I have some extra time (unlikely) I'll see
if I can figure out a way to configure two executions on the appropriate plugin.