kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Kafka questions
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:41:46 GMT
Yeah, that's the point of a wiki, sharing.  One person should not own a design doc.  Frankly,
I don't understand the push back for such a simple document.

Regards,
Alan

On Jul 20, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Jakob Homan wrote:

> Doesn't need to be, but could be.  It's usually up to the person
> proposing the change/driving the discussion to create new versions of
> the PDF.  In my experience, when people attached the Word doc, others
> would complain that they didn't have Word, and when people attached,
> e.g., the laTex document people would have complain they didn't know
> ancient Egyptian...
> -jg
>
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> Are you saying that the source document for the PDF is also attached to the issue?
 I don't see it in KAFKA-50.

>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>
>> On Jul 20, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Jakob Homan wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have anything against wikis - they're great for information
>>> that changes more frequently than releases are made and should be
>>> user-facing (configuration, FAQs, etc).
>>>
>>> For large technical changes, like the one currently being propsosed,
>>> the PDF isn't static, but will have several versions posted.  The
>>> whole discussion is: PDF version 0, then comments on that PDF, then
>>> PDFv1, then more discussions until eventually the discussion turns
>>> into +1s and the final version of the PDF is attached.  The JIRA does
>>> a good job of chronicling the discussion that wiki change logs
>>> doesn't.  JIRA just seems like a more natural forum to spur
>>> discussion.
>>>
>>> Also, having the person driving the change updating the document tends
>>> to keep the discussion on track and making progress.
>>>
>>> Finally, new or less senior members of the community may be reluctant
>>> to edit a semi-official project document like a wiki, but hopefully
>>> will be willing to join in the discussion on JIRA.
>>> -jg

PDF document.  I'll turn the question around.  What problem do you see storing the document
in a wiki format?