kafka-users mailing list archives

From Paul Sutter <psut...@quantbench.com>
Subject Re: Kafka questions
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 03:27:55 GMT
Jun

Thanks for your answers and the link to the paper - that helps a lot,
especially the comment in the paper that 10 second end to end latency is
good enough for your intended use case.

We're looking for much lower latencies, and the basic design of Kafka feels
like it should support latencies in milliseconds with a few changes. We're
either going to build our own system, or help develop something that already
exists, so please take my comments in the constructive way they're intended
(I realize the changes I'm suggesting are outside your intended use case,
but if you're interested we may be able to provide a very capable developer
to help with the work, assuming we choose kafka over the other zillion
streaming systems that are coming out of the woodwork).

a. *Producer "queue.time"* - In my question 4 below, I was referring to the
producer queue time.  With a default value of 5 seconds, that accounts for
half your end to end latency. A system like zeromq is optimized to write
data immediately without delay, but in such a way to minimizes the number of
system calls required during high throughput messages. Zeromq is no nirvana,
but it has a number of nice properties.

b. *Broker "log.default.flush.interval.ms"* - The default value of 3 seconds
appears to be another significant source of latency in the system, assuming
that clients are unable to access data until it has been flushed. Since you
have wisely chosen to take advantage of the buffer cache as part of your
system design, it seems that you could remove this latency completely by
memory mapping the partitions and memcpying each message as it arrives. With
the right IPC mechanism clients could have immediate access to new messages.

c. *Batching, sync vs async, replication, and auditing*. Its understandable
that you've chosen a a forensic approach to producer reliability (after the
fact auditing), but when you implement replication it would be really nice
to revise the producer protocol mechanisms. If you used a streaming
mechanism with producer offsets and ACKs, you could ensure reliable delivery
of producer streams to multiple brokers without the need to choose a "batch
size" or "queue.time". This could also give you active/active failover of
brokers. This may also help in the WAN case (my question 3 below) because
you will be able to adaptively stuff more and more data through the fiber
for high bandwidth*delay links without having to choose a large "batch size"
nor have the additional latency that entails. Oh, and it will help you deal
with CRC errors once you start checking for them.

c. *Performance measurements* - I'd like to make a suggestion for your
performance measurements. Your benchmarks measure throughput, but a
throughput number is meaningless without an associated "% cpu time". Ideally
all measurements achieve wire speed (100MB/sec) at 0% CPU (since, after all,
this is plumbing and we assume the cores in the system should have capacity
set aside for useful work too). Obviously nobody ever achieves this, but by
measuring it one can raise the bar in terms of optimization.

Paul

ps. Just for background, I am the cofounder at Quantcast where we process
3.5PB of data per day. These questions are related to my new startup
Quantbench which will deal with financial market data where you dont want
any latency at all. And WAN issues are a big deal too. Incidentally, I was
also founder of Orbital Data which was a WAN optimization company so I've
done a lot of work with protocols over long distances.