kafka-users mailing list archives

From Jakob Homan <jgho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Kafka questions
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:11:13 GMT
I don't have anything against wikis - they're great for information
that changes more frequently than releases are made and should be
user-facing (configuration, FAQs, etc).

For large technical changes, like the one currently being propsosed,
the PDF isn't static, but will have several versions posted.  The
whole discussion is: PDF version 0, then comments on that PDF, then
PDFv1, then more discussions until eventually the discussion turns
into +1s and the final version of the PDF is attached.  The JIRA does
a good job of chronicling the discussion that wiki change logs
doesn't.  JIRA just seems like a more natural forum to spur
discussion.

Also, having the person driving the change updating the document tends
to keep the discussion on track and making progress.

Finally, new or less senior members of the community may be reluctant
to edit a semi-official project document like a wiki, but hopefully
will be willing to join in the discussion on JIRA.
-jg

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

>>> No, that's very bad.  There's no way that others can participate and modify
the design.

>> How so?  The documentation is online and the discussion is online and
>> recorded for posterity. The only barrier to entry to the discussion is
>> setting up a JIRA account.
>
> The design document should be open to the community to edit.  Not a frozen PDF document.
 I'll turn the question around.  What problem do you see storing the document in a wiki
format?